DeFi @ FTC
Our dedicated DeFi strategy is stage agnostic, investing in both equity and tokens - from white paper to liquid markets.
We support the financial networks that we invest in through fundamental research, on-chain governance, token design, smart contract development / auditing, liquidity mining, and community development.
1inch - Aggregation platform that offers best execution routing across decentralized exchanges
Alternative - Platform for non-dilutive SMB financing options by leveraging the API economy and DeFi
Balancer - Automated market maker and portfolio rebalancer for digital assets
Bottlepay - A next-generation bitcoin wallet with support for frictionless payment rails on top of the Lightning Network
Boto - A platform for creating no code bots and actions in crypto
Centrifuge - A decentralized network connecting global supply chains to DeFi financing
Coincover - Digital asset deposit and theft insurance for business and retail investors
CoinLedger - Crypto tax and portfolio software for DeFi and NFT power users
Coinshift - Crypto treasury operating system for DeFi companies and DAOs
Dharma - A smart-contract wallet with regulated fiat on / off ramps and DeFi integrations
Rainbow - Building a better home for your Ethereum assets
Revert - The go-to analytic tool for managing liquidity positions within DeFi
Secured Finance - Building the yield curve for crypto capital markets
Sublime - Reputation based credit scoring enabling undercollateralized loans in DeFi
The Graph - A digital wallet that taps into DeFi to offer competitive yields on savings deposits
Tiiik - A digital wallet that taps into DeFi to offer competitive yields on savings deposits
Tulip Protocol - The premier yield aggregator within the Solana DeFi ecosystem
UMA - UMA enables anyone to build decentralized financial products
Unbound Finance - The DeFi Treasury for liquidity pool tokens
Other select investments in blockchain include lead checks into:
Axoni - Replatforming post-trade capital markets with DLT
NYDIG - Bitcoin-as-a-service for asset management, banking, payments, and insurance
Minka - Real-time payments infrastructure in Latam
FTC's DeFi strategy is thematic and fundamentally driven - investing in the infrastructure, protocols, and applications that support decentralized finance.
We are currently actively investing across themes that include smart contract wallets, programmable asset management, decentralized exchanges, synthetic assets, streaming payments, KYC’d liquidity pools, and the overall institutionalization of the asset class.
Read more on our thesis here: Decentralized Finance is a Continuum (February 2019) - Outlining the emerging DeFi ecosystem and our early thesis in the space
We are active participants in the decentralized networks in which we invest - designing, building, voting, and providing liquidity alongside the teams we back.
Sean Lippel - Partner and Head of Digital Assets
- Former world-ranked poker player
- Early user of Bitcoin (2012), Ethereum investor (2016) and prolific user of crypto applications
- Fintech venture investor since 2015, specializing in digital assets and alternative credit
- Investment banking and structured products @ Credit Suisse
- Columbia Business School MBA, University of Michigan BBA
- Medium @SeanLippel, Twitter @seanlippel
Ryan Todd - Research Lead
- Research Team @ The Block, focused on the convergence of fintech and digital assets, and the build-out of public crypto company coverage
- Research analyst @ ConsenSys, focused on the Ethereum ecosystem
- Work featured on Bloomberg, CNBC, Cheddar, Real Vision, among other outlets
- Equity analyst covering consumer finance and payments @ Deutsche Bank
- Vanderbilt University MS Finance, Florida State University BS
- Twitter @_RJTodd
William Starr - Technical Lead
- MobiHacks SF Competition - 1st place winner
- UAE GovHacks Global Competition - Top 10 finalist
- Cofounder @ Timeless, a calendar as a service marketplace
- Cofounder @ Paper, a blockchain system to unify the modern supply chain
- Blockchain developer @ Eco (Expa) @ Pledgecamp
- Github @williamstarkro
- Former Professional Poker Player Helms New $50 Million DeFi Fund Backed By BIllionaire Alan Howard (August 2021) - Feature article by Forbes highlighting FTC's new DeFi strategy
- Real Vision: Mapping the Future of DeFi (July 2021) - A new perspective on the many facets of DeFi
- The Future of Institutional Asset Management Has Arrived (October 2020) - Why we led the $50m equity round into NYDIG
- DeFi: A Conversation with Sean Lippel (November 2020) - Part of the FinTech Collective podcast series
- BetaWorks: NFTs and DeFi Curated by FinTech Collective and Coinfund (December 2020) - How decentralized finance is reshaping assets, ownerships, and digital content. Password: NFT121120VIP.
- Decentralized Finance is a Continuum (February 2019) - Outlining the emerging DeFi ecosystem and our early thesis in the space
We are in a multi-decade transition from Industrial Era finance into network-based finance, impacting every vector of consumer, commercial, and institutional finance.